Traditional cities, beautiful old towns and a little Venice – Aschaffenburg to Bamberg
During this trip you will always have the opportunity to try fine wines, one or the other beer and some delicious culinary delights. But Franconia is not just an ideal region for the stomach. You can also look forward to traditional cities, beautiful old towns and a little Venice. The eyes want to be spoiled too.
The MS Allure is a modern converted barge, which is used for many years.
* Depending on the date of travel this journey can be offered from Aschaffenburg to Bamberg or in the opposite direction (see dates for travel).
The MS Allure is a modern converted barge, which is used for many years. The ship has a nice residence/restaurant with air-conditioning, small bar and a sundeck.
The total of 10 double cabins have 2 single low beds and are about 8 sqm, have a small shower/toilet and TV. The cabins are cooled by air-conditioning in the cabin aisle.
Technical details: about 45m long – approx. 6.5m wide – depth 1.20m – 3 crew
Day 1 (Sat): Embarkation: Aschaffenburg
Individual arrival and embarkation as from 4 PM in Aschaffenburg, where you will stay for the night. The tranquil university-city is located at the foot of the Spessart and offers numerous magnificent buildings. Johannisburg Castle, build with red sandstone, is one of the most important and most beautiful Renaissance buildings in Germany. The lively center with narrow streets offers many half-timbered houses and numerous wine bars and cafes.
Day 2 (Sun): Aschaffenburg – Bürgstadt (Miltenberg), (Approx. 40 km/24 mi.)
Shortly before you reach Bürgstadt, you can cycle either on the right or left side of the river Main. The floodplain forest between Nilkheim and Niedernheim is pleasant to drive on in the summer. You will cycle on the “planet-cycle track” from Kleinwallstadt to Erlenbach. Along this track you will find information about the universe. All along the river you will find benches or rest areas where you can rest or even take a swim. You spend the night on board the ship in Bürgstadt, located about 2 km from Miltenberg.
Day 3 (Mon): Bürgstadt (Miltenberg) – Wertheim | Wertheim – Lohr (Approx. 40-45 km/24-27 mi.)
During a relaxing breakfast, the MS Allure brings you to Wertheim. In Wertheim, where the character of am old Frankish is preserved, starts your bike tour through the typical landscape of the Main. There is much to see on the route to Lohr, with its beautiful old town with historic buildings and Franconian timbered.
Day 4 (Tue): Lohr – Karlstadt | Karlstadt – Wurzburg (Approx. 30 km/18 mi.)
Early in the morning the ship cruises along Gemünden to Karlstadt, where the bike tour starts. The romance of an old town and the idyll of a village – Karlstadt has both. Explore the more than 800 year old buildings in the by walls, towers and Gates surrounded old town. Enjoy the relaxing bike tour to Wurzburg, where you will meet the ship again in the afternoon. Visit the Würzburg Residenz, which is on the UNESCO World Heritage since 1981 or enjoy the magnificent view from the fortress Marienburg.
Day 5 (Wed): Wurzburg – Kitzingen (Approx. 40 km/24 mi.)
Today you will cycle along the main cycle track from Wurzburg through the fruitful Ochsenfurt district to Ochsenfurt with its lance tower that is worth seeing and through the historic village Marktbreit with its fine residences to Kitzingen. In this city wine growing is a big thing.
Day 6 (Thu): Kitzingen – Dettelbach – Schweinfurt (Approx. 40 – 60 km/24-36 mi.)
Via the wine-growing areas of Dettelbach (you can also cruise with the ship to Dettelbach and start the bike tour from here) and Schwarzach am Main you cycle first to Volkach. Here it is worth visiting the pilgrimage church of St. Maria in Weingarten. Then you go on to Fahr, where a welcome notice in the form of a wine bottle greets you, via the Volkach loop in the Main river – here the valley becomes narrower and narrower and the vineyards more and more numerous – to Schweinfurt.
Day 7 (Fri): Schweinfurt – Haßfurt | Haßfurt – Bamberg (Approx. 35-40 km/21-24 mi.)
First you will cruise with the ship to Haßfurt. Afterwards you cycle via Zeil am Main, unique, exactly located on the borderline between the Franconian wine and beer country – to Bamberg. Like Rome, the city was built on seven hills and one therefore likes to call it the “Franconian Rome”. Experience the fascinating heritage of world culture. The fishermen's quarter of “Little Venice”, a row of residences from the 17th century, is also worth seeing. If you like beer, you have to drink a nice cool beer here. There are still eleven independent breweries in the city!
Day 8 (Sat): Disembarkation: Bamberg
After breakfast: disembarkation and end of the tour.
Depending on the date of travel this journey can be offered from Aschaffenburg to Bamberg or in the opposite direction (see dates for travel).
Details: In italics printed parts will be covered by the ship.
All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours.
When you do not want to cycle one day, you can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next town.
Program and details barring changes, a.o. as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons.
– Transfers to/from docking places in Aschaffenburg or Bamberg (Germany);
– Reservation fee;
– Other transfers;
– Parking fee;
– Rental bicycle;
– Entrance fees & excursions;
– Fees for ferries;
– City maps;
– Drinks on board;
– Personal (travel) insurance;
– Gratuities (at your discretion).
Reservation fee: €15 per booking/group (obligatory)
Rental bicycle, 7 speed with handbrake and pannier bag: € 70 per bike/week
E-Bike with handbrake: € 165 per bike/week (limited, only on request)
Bike helmets can be borrowed on board
Departure dates 2018 | Aschaffenburg – Bamberg | Allure (all dates dd.mm):
Departure and arrival on Saturday.
Aschaffenburg – Bamberg: 02.06. – 09.06. / 16.06. – 23.06. / 30.06. – 07.07. / 14.07. – 21.07. / 28.07. – 04.08.
Bamberg – Aschaffenburg: 09.06. – 16.06. / 23.06. – 30.06. / 07.07. – 14.07. / 21.07. – 28.07. / 04.08. – 11.08.
Tour price 2018 per person in Euro | Aschaffenburg – Bamberg | Allure:
|departures, Saturdays||All departures|
|Twin cabin (2 low beds)||919|
|Cabin with France bed (cabin 2) for single use.||1,379|
The single cabin is only on request available. Please contact us if you want to book such a cabin.
Rent for a unisex bicycle with 7 gears with handbrake(freewheel) and a pannier bag (no backpedalbrake): € 70 per bike/week
E-Bike with handbrakes: € 165 per bike/week
Bike helmets can be borrowed on board
Reservation fee: € 15 per booking/group (obligated Surcharge)
– Embarkation as from 4 pm.
– Disembarkation after breakfast till 9:30 am.
– Rental bikes on board: light unisex tour bicycles of the mark Gazelle with 7 or 8 gears with handbrake and a pannier bag (no back-pedal brake). A limited number of E-Bikes with handbrakes (only on request)
– The bike tours are individual and not guided. They are between 30 and 60 km (18 – 36 miles). All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. The tour description is only available in German, but the crew speaks English and is willing to explain the tour in English. The tracks are well signposted.
– Characteristics: Almost all parts of the bike tours are easy to ride.
– Luggage: we advise you to bring good rain cloths, bike helmet, sunhat and sport shoes. Due to the lack of storage room in the cabins we advise you to bring suitcases or bags which are foldable.
– The sailing schedule and tour details are barring changes, a.o. as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons. When in case of low or high water a part of the route can’t be sailed, the skipper reserves the right to change the route for your own safety (this is not a reason for free withdrawal).
– Travel documents: please don’t forget to bring your passport.
– Special meals are available for vegetarians and guests with other moderate diet wishes, but only on prior notification. Depending on these wishes, in some cases a supplement may be charged of €25 p.p. per week (to be paid directly on board). Please inform us by booking.
Minimum number of participants for this tour is 15.
Boat Bike Tours BV
’t Prooyen 3-B
1141 VD Monnickendam
Tel: +31 299 313071
Fax: +31 299 313065
Updated: September 22, 2017
Legal notice: Tour operator for this tours is SE Tours GmbH, Bremerhaven, Germany. The tour operator is entitled to cancel the tour if the minimum number of participants has not been reached. If the tour will nog take place, all deposits/payments will be fully refunded. Other conditions may apply to this tour. We recommend purchasing a travel and cancellation insurance.